a minor nit 1.94

Colin Guthrie gmane at colin.guthr.ie
Thu Dec 4 01:56:05 UTC 2008

'Twas brillig, and Jud Craft at 04/12/08 01:21 did gyre and gimble:
> Right, but there won't be a downstream packager for the OSX and Win
> versions, right?
>
> And even so, there's always the chance that a Windows or Mac user
> might be interested in how that GStreamer or QuickTime backend sound.
> Especially if certain features (cross-fading, replay-gain, etc) ever
> become specific to a certain backend.
>
> (Don't mean to derail, I just think it's a valid concern.)

One of the key features of Phonon is that it doesn't require each
application to implement configs for it.

It's meant to centralise things and make KDE apps (or rather Qt although
I think that is becoming increasingly blured with the xine backend being
more KDE than Qt which is why I'm still a little saddened that the
gstreamer backend was not nurtured more initially, but that's another
story - and I may be out of date as I've fallen behind here recently)
more consistant.

Remember when each and every app on your desktop had it's own "sound
preferences" dialog? This is insane from a usability perspective. users
have to learn new paradigms and systems for every application. With
technologies like pulseaudio and phonon this is changing. You go to one
place with one GUI to make these kind of changes. This is similar to
Core Audio on OSX.

It's a bit of a cultural shift, but it's definitely better for general
UI in the long term.

Col

--

Colin Guthrie