Dependencies for amarok 1.4

Jud Craft craftjml at gmail.com
Wed Dec 3 21:22:59 UTC 2008

There is a distinction between the development library of Qt3 and the
"build" of Qt3 on a machine.  The latter helps Qt3 programs run; the
first is used for compiling new Qt3 programs.

Quite simply, Amarok (which is definitely not a simple Qt3 program,
wouldn't you think?) requires the Qt3 development library.

Now, Qt4 comes with Qt3-Support, which I guess is a type of "Qt3
Layer", which means that you can swap out Qt3 for Qt4 in your program,
and have it work (basically) the same.

But no one has swapped Amarok from Qt3 to Qt4.  It's configuration and
compilation still require Qt3.  Qt3-Support is only useful if a
programmer is moving their program from Qt3 to Qt4; it makes
programming in Qt4 similar to in Qt3 (developers:  is this analogy
correct?).

No one has moved Amarok 1.4 from Qt3: it is a specifically Qt3
program.  So unless you want to reach into Amarok's building
instructions to force it to work with Qt4 -- in which case I imagine
there will still be a ton of errors -- you will still need the Qt3
development libraries.