demo program: Amarok Constraint Tree (for dynamic playlists)

Soren Harward stharward at gmail.com
Sun Aug 31 00:45:05 UTC 2008

On Sat, Aug 30, 2008 at 3:05 PM, Ian Monroe <ian at monroe.nu> wrote:
> And I don't get how Soren can say "or" is missing in 2.0 (if thats
> what your saying). Proportions make that sort of boolean logic
> unnecessary.

Not quite; as proportional biases are currently implemented, the logic
breaks down when you have a set of orthogonal constraints.  Let's say
you want tracks that match "year 1977" OR "length between 3:00 and
5:00" OR "genre Disco".  If you set the proportion at 100%, you are
effectively ANDing all three of these conditions together.  But let's
say you set the proportion at 50%.  If you put 5 tracks from the
"Saturday Night Fever" soundtrack into a playlist of 10 songs, you
have satisfied the proportion for all three constraints, and the
solver will put 5 totally arbitrary tracks that fit none of the
conditions into the playlist.  This is clearly not what you wanted.  I
acknowledge that it's unlikely someone would put together such a set
of constraints, but it's nevertheless an example which disproves the
statement.

--
Soren Harward