Moodbar in Amarok 2.0?

Ian Monroe ian at monroe.nu
Thu Aug 21 15:16:39 UTC 2008

On Thu, Aug 21, 2008 at 7:47 AM, Soren Harward <stharward at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Thu, Aug 21, 2008 at 8:30 AM, Daniel Winter <dw at danielwinter.de> wrote:
>> And what relevance has that patent in the rest of the world? Europe, china and
>> so on? (well I am not a lawyer so I do not know)
>
> Look, I dislike US software patents as much as everybody else in the
> FOSS world, but the fact stands that in at least some part of the
> world (which is home to a large number of Amarok users) that code is
> not going to be usable.  It might not even be permissible to store the
> code on servers located in the USA.  These are both significant, but
> not insurmountable, barriers to development and distribution.
>
> If someone outside the US would like to take on maintaining the
> moodbar, I don't think any of the Amarok developers would mind.  But
> all I hear right now are inquiries about its status (or complaints
> that it hasn't been ported), so I'm being a little pessimistic that
> given the patent problem, I doubt that it will get picked up any time
> soon.

Remember that patents aren't like copyright at all; violating them is
never criminal. You only have to worry about patents if you have
enough money to be worth suing. Most companies get a bunch of patents
really as protection: the big companies rarely sue over patent
infringement since then the suing would never stop as everyone is
violating each other software patents.

We don't have money, so we don't worry. And unless Soren your a
billionare, you shouldn't really worry either.

Overall I think its best if we remain ignorant of patents and I'd
appreciate if you didn't bring up patent numbers in the future.

Thanks,
Ian