sharing postgres DB

Guðlaugur Jóhannesson gudlaugu at raunvis.hi.is
Sun Apr 27 21:52:38 UTC 2008

On Sunday 27 April 2008 14:18:52 fortysixandtwo at metashadow.com wrote:

> >> Have you tried using mysql?  I have used it successfully to share the
> >> database.  You simply point all computers to use the same database and
> >> it
> >> works, provided that the paths are the same.  There should also be an
> >> howto
> >> somewhere on transferring the data from sqlite to mysql, but I am to
> >> lazy
> >> look it up.
> >
> > in the original thread, i was trying to use postgres.  since i am already
> > using postgres for other purposes, i would like to use postgres for this
> > also.  is there any reason why it would work with mysql and with
> > postgres.
>
> sorry, cat stepped on the keyboard and the message get sent before i was
> finished...
>
> what i was wondering if there is any reason why it would with mysql and
> not with postgres?  using sqlite on a shared resource was just a plan b if
> i couldn't get postgres to work.
>
> thanks,
> -=- adam grossman

It should work as well with postgres.  If the collection has the same path,
everything should work.  Be aware that preferably only one machine should be
watching the collection, since two instances of amarok could update the
database at the same time if something is added to the collection.

You could also have to disaple dynamic collection since it stores information
based on the nfs share and not the file path.  If amarok is never run from the
fileserver, this should not pose a problem.