SuSE 11.0 gcc/g++ 4.3

David C. Manuelda stormbyte at gmail.com
Sat Apr 26 17:28:36 UTC 2008

On Saturday 26 April 2008 19:15:29 Donn Washburn wrote:
> David C. Manuelda wrote:
> > On Saturday 26 April 2008 18:43:59 Donn Washburn wrote:
> >> Hey Group;
> >>
> >> It seems SuSE 11.0 sent out it's normally broken Amarok version.
> >> To add to that, they are now only using gstreamer-yauap. Problem with it
> >> is that it is missing a lib.la.  So, amarok engine shows only "no
> >> engine"
> >>
> >> To beat the problem I was going to compile from source.  First taglibs
> >> and xine-lib and then Amarok old cvs version and a 04/26/08 version.
> >> Neither will compile due to gcc 4.3 and g++ 4.3.  gcc 4.2 worked.
> >>
> >> Has anyone gotten this to work?  I may be still missing a dependence.
> >
> > Then, you should look in google for patches for gcc 4.3 :) I think you
> > will find several that you could apply and test, or wait upstream to
> > repair that lacks of includes which makes them fail to compile against
> > 4.3
>
> Thanks David;
>
> I will try to find if there is some related info on the 4.3 issue
> The errors came from the G++ and backwards files.h

The full explanation of the problem:

I do NOT recommend you use gcc 4.3 nowadays if you want to have MOST of
packages compiled. The reason: (briefly): gcc team has done a cleanup in most
of the standard include files, and thus, a file (or symbol) which got
included including another C library file, is no longer included.

This requires an extra effort for developers team of each package to be
solved, or a user submitting patches (I've done several).

For this reason, I do not recommend you to switch to gcc 4.3 yet...

:)