AFT and file links

Cody Christensen codyregister at gmail.com
Tue Apr 22 22:50:42 UTC 2008

On Tuesday 22 April 2008 5:20:30 am you wrote:
> [...]
> > > exactly know how Amarok creates the unique IDs used for AFT, but since
> > > all of them would contain the exact same data, they should get the same
> > > unique ID, right? And this in turn would mean they have common
> > > statistics? I'm not sure if the problem with the several occurences in
> > > a playlist could be solved this way, though.
> > > I do not know how other people think about this matter, but I think it
> > > may be an interesting feature to consider for some future Amarok
> > > version. Right now, however, this is only my personal curiosity,
> > > because I have started to learn ruby and was thinking about useful
> > > scripts that could be written for Amarok.
> > >
> > > Thanks
> > > Florian Löffler
> >
> > I personally would love to see this feature of marking two songs as =.
> > Sometimes you have a song that is in an album as well as in another album
> > such as a sound track of a movie. If you don't want to delete one in
> > order to keep the integrity of both albums it would be great to mark
> > their stats (score, playcount, labels, place in playlists, etc) as equal.
> > Also sometimes they would have slightly different tags such as different
> > album tags and the method of marking them as equal should be able to
> > handle that IMO.
>
> This probably would not be an AFT thing.  For one thing, AFT hashes on
> (among other things) the tag of the file, so if the album is different then
> the hash will be different too.  In addition, part of the song data is
> used, and often the exact same song data is not on a best-of vs. a normal
> release (the volume is slightly different, the amount of silence in the
> beginning changes, etc). So even then it might not work.
>
> Probably the best way to do this would be outside AFT, for another reason
> as well.  It is similar to a request some others have given us where they
> have files encoded in i.e. FLAC and MP3 for playback on their home computer
> vs. their portable device...but they want don't want to see duplicate files
> in the collection, they want to only see one (the "higher quality one",
> which is actually not easy to determine, especially comparing lossy to
> lossy and lossless to lossless).  And they want the statistics to be the
> same regardless of which one they play.  In such a case, which pretty much
> matches yours, AFT would be totally useless.
>
> I encourage you to think about ways this could be done.  For instance, a
> collection option where files by the same artist and same song name (but
> different album) are listed once and share statistics.  But you'd also need
> to think about how the database would react to this...would you have the
> statistics table be able to have multiple Unique IDs per entry? How would
> it be updated without getting stale?  Etc.  I'm not sure that this can be
> done in a good, non-intrusive way, but if you submit a way that might work
> well, the developers could take a good hard look at it (but no

You bring up some good points. I realize that it would need to be taken care
of out side of AFT but where the original post described something very
similar I just posted it as a reply there.

The way that is in my mind would be something like a spell chacker type
interface. A user could run a check for duplicates search and it would look
through the database and find songs with similar tags. It could display the
details of these tags like a spell checker one above the other and on the
side could be options. There could be options like mark as duplicate, ignore,
mark top as high quality, mark bottom as high quality, etc. As for the
statistics view what about listing the song by the data that is the same and
then having a little [+] to explode it into the 2 (or more) duplicate
listings details.

Excuse me if this is wrong or impractical I'm not a big programmer I only know
PHP but, one way I could think about doing this on the database end could be
to mark the songs that are duplicates with a hidden tag (or hash type thing)
in the database that would identify them as duplicates. One problem I see
with that is it could potentially cause a performance issue. I don't know
what the performance consequences of checking for that tag when changing
stats would be. and also if one's collection had many duplicates then it
could potentially be a problem too.

>How would it be updated without getting stale?
Sorry but I honestly don't know what you mean here.

Maybe with some input from others we could run with an idea similar to this. I
think for people with no duplicates it would be unobtrusive because they
would need to activate it and run the duplicate finder for it to even be
present so if they didn't like it they could keep it disabled.

Ps. You don't need to CC me.