Album art fetching question

Ian Monroe ian at monroe.nu
Sun Apr 13 01:08:24 UTC 2008

On Sat, Apr 12, 2008 at 6:58 PM, Patrick C <patrick.pxc.c at gmail.com> wrote:
> I understand that Amarok does not store the album art for songs in the ID3
> tags and that it does this because it fetches the album art from Amazon,
> whose license only permits the presence of the media for a certain length of
> time. When that length of time is reached, Amarok then "refreshes" the album
> art by refreshing it.
>
> As an alternative, would it be feasible/easier to fetch album art from
> Wikipedia instead? Wikipedia uses only unrestrictively licensed artwork, and
> I've found it's also more accurate as far as getting the images I want (if
> an album/artist uses a common phrase in their name, or if the name of the
> album is the same as the band name, for example, the Amazon fetching is
> essentially useless).

We have a GSoC project that will make cover fetching a script
operation. So folks could make scripts to fetch from all sorts of
places. And if theortically Amazon changes their API we don't have to
stress out a release.  Theoretically. ;)

Random thought: the wikipedia tab could have a "set as cover" context
menu item for images displayed there.

Ian