scripting proposal draft 3

K Robinson zwokkqxpozgc+nznebxrznvyyvfg1 at gmail.com
Tue Apr 8 23:37:00 UTC 2008

On Saturday 22 March 2008 5:22:30 pm Ian Monroe wrote:
> On Sat, Mar 22, 2008 at 4:16 PM, Miguel Angel Alvarez <maacruz at gmail.com>
wrote:
>  > Again, binary scripts are a no-go. They will not be supported.
> >
> >  Again, think of ways of enabling users, not disabling them (let that to
> > M$ and Apple and MPAA).
> >  You don't have to support anything. Just provide us a good interface,
> >  everything else is our work.
>
> No we have some quality control responsibilities.

Has anyone done some security or threat analysis on the script interface, or
is this planned?  I didn't spot anything in the proposal.  While I want
scripts to be able to do a lot, I also want users to be able to (at a
minimum) quickly audit what a script is doing or has done in the past.  This
also ties in with quality assurance problems.  If a script is causing
instability in Amarok or elsewhere, it would be nice for users who know
little to be able to figure out it's a script, not amarok itself.

-K Robinson