Google Summer of Code and Other Possibilities

ncschulk at mtu.edu ncschulk at mtu.edu
Fri Apr 4 23:32:14 UTC 2008

Hello Amarok Staff,

I happened to be visiting your site a few days ago and noticed that you
were a participating member of the Google Summer of Code.  As I've been a
faithful user of Amarok since Fall of 2006, I was intrigued to say the
least.  I understand I am piping up slightly late to begin an application.
 However, I would at least like to begin a dialogue about helping the
project.

At first glance I am leaning toward the introduction of tabbed playlists
for a project idea.  This was an amazing addition to web browsers and
every now and then, specifically in Windows Media Player, I find their
playlist editor lacking.  In preparation for road trips I pull my
favorites together, then make playlists depending on themes and common
sounds.

An addendum to this could be the capability to generate a playlist with a
certain tag, while maintaining your current playlist.

My second choice would be the CD Tower concept, which I can see being
substantially more difficult.  There are many databases for album covers
and very few, if any, databases for album spines.  A friend and I were
discussing it, and the idea came up to add a hexadecimal color value for
the album database listing.  This would allow for a bit of individuality
for each CD, without having to keep a second set of image files for the
user's collection.  Its simultaneously easy for the end user to input,
with the introduction of a color wheel, or for an online database to add
in time.

An addendum to this idea would be the ability to rank albums via the
tower.  A user could pull a favorite album to the top of the list, where
it would be seated higher in their personal ranking.

About me:
I am a sophomore at Michigan Technological University, seeking a Computer
Science Bachelors Degree.  I have been coding in programming languages for
the past five years.  These include, by length of usage, Visual Basic.NET,
C++, Java, and MIPS assembly.  My preferred OS is Fedora 7, and I
additionally run Fedora 8, Windows XP and Windows Vista on separate
platforms.

Thank you and have a wonderful day,
--
Nathan C. Schulke