[Playlist] Re: XSPF support in Amarok

Jeff Mitchell kde-dev at emailgoeshere.com
Sun Sep 23 15:38:26 UTC 2007

On Saturday 22 September 2007, Sebastian Pipping wrote:
> Lucas Gonze wrote:
> > Is the idea that there needs to be an adapter layer to enable the QT XML
> > interfaces that Amarok relies on to access expat-based parsers?

> No, libSpiff passes XSPF "objects", not XML trees.
> That latter would mean we lose the just-gained high
> level abstraction again.

I looked at libSpiff a while back.  It seems to be overly complex and quite
limited.  Many of the XSPF elements didn't seem to be accessible unless you
use ProjectOptusBlahBlah classes.  Even then some of them didn't seem to be
accessible.

Unless I'm misunderstanding something, I think it's telling that there needed
to be a Project Opus extension to libSpiff to enable it to access metadata
that's defined in XSPF in the first place.  Which also gets my hackles up a
bit, as I don't quite understand why a public and open library like libSpiff
has huge amounts of name-branded code, with default strings pointing to the
site, regardless of whether they wrote it or not.

Finally -- if XSPF is hugely dependent on whitespacing, something is wrong
with the standard.  Elements and values in XML shouldn't matter whether you
indent a line with two spaces or four or even no indentation at all, and
values of elements should either be nested in <tags></tags> where
whitespacing inside the tag is kept, or should be defined as="quoted
properties".

So so far, I'm in agreement that import and export of playlists in XSPF is a
fine idea.  I am in no way seeing the reason to use libSpiff for it.

--Jeff