XSPF support in Amarok

Ian Monroe ian at monroe.nu
Wed Sep 19 04:10:31 UTC 2007

On 9/18/07, Sebastian Pipping <webmaster at hartwork.org> wrote:
> Hello Amarok Developers!
>

> I'm here to talk about XSPF support in Amarok with you.
> Amarok does not use a library for reading/writing XSPF
> playlist files. Amarok is no exception in doing so
> but that only means I will have to write this mail
> to other players as well. :-)

The main reason to not use a library is because XSPF is a pretty
simple format, and we already have have a couple of XML libraries in
Qt. Reading XML of any format is pretty easy to do with these
libraries, at least if the XML format is logical like XSPF is. For
instance a library that reads podcasts would be more useful since
there are so many crazy podcast formats out there, and Apple screwing
things up time-to-time, but XSPF doesn't have this problem.

Currently I don't think we have a dependency of the Expat XML library
and depending on a new XML library when we already have Qt doesn't
seem logical.

But you said you were willing to work on new stuff. :) A XSPF library
that depended on Qt 4 would be great. Our current XSPF code is a bit
wonky and uses the memory-intensive QDom. An QXmlStreamReader/Writer
implementation would be highly appreciated.

Ian Monroe