Amarok article: last.fm - when do I need a profile, how is last.fm used for dynamic playlists?

Martin Steigerwald Martin at lichtvoll.de
Thu Sep 13 13:56:13 UTC 2007

Hello!

After some hours of using last.fm I am not completely clear when I would
need a last.fm profile. The informations in Amarok GUIs are a bit
contradicting.

In the settings it first tells me that I need to have a profile in order
to use last.fm in Amarok.

But then below in the section with last.fm services it is written that I
do not need a last.fm profile for the display of similar tracks in the
context browser. And then there are two services I can enable (roughly
translated from german version):

1) Send played tracks and update the profile this way

2) Get similar artists

Both are grayed out immediately when I delete my last.fm username from the
settings. Now I did not yet quite crasp the difference between the
display of similar tracks in the context browser and the service 2 "Get
similar artists". I thought both mean the same. Graying out service 2
seems inconsistent to me, since also the german documentation tells me
that I do not need a last.fm profile in order to use that service.

When I disable both services in the settings I do neither see "Similar
artists" and "Recommended tracks" in the context browser anymore.

I would like to receive some clarification on this, as here apparently
Amarok doesn't behave as documented. I can create a bug report once it is
clear whether we really have a bug here or I misunderstood something.

My second question is about dynamic playlists and last.fm. I think I read
that Amarok uses last.fm for getting similar artists in order to
recommend suitable tracks when using a playlist. What does it transfer to
last.fm, how does last.fm use it and do I need a profile to use this
feature? Dynamic playlists already worked very well before I created a
last.fm profile today, so either it doesn't need last.fm or it uses it
without needing a profile. How is that stuff working? I still think its
using last.fm, but does not need a profile.

Regards,