Would you want and use a Growl-like interface in KDE?

Tue Sep 4 00:22:52 UTC 2007

Hi all,

I am writing to find out if I should file a wishlist bug on b.k.o

Some of you might have heard of Growl [1], a generic
system for presenting information on Mac OS X. While it is
easy to use

kdialog --passivepopup "foo bar" 4

to create popups in KDE, they are ugly and you can not
select where to place them on your screen. I was wondering
if there are any plans for a generic notification framework in
KDE4. If not, there is potential for a nice and extendable tool.

As Amarok already has a very nice notification mechanism,
it would perhaps be possible to steal and adapt this for KDE
3.5.8 (now that KDE4 comes two months later) or it could be
integrated with KDE4.

With a dbus interface, Perl, Python, whatnot modules and
hooks from other programs (think activity on Tab 3 in
Konsole, you have new mail, etc) I see many uses for such
a notification system.

Do you guys think this idea has merrit, too? Did I miss an
already existing solution to this problem? Do you think
Krowl is a good name?

Any feedback appreciated,
Richard

[1] http://growl.info/