Mass Convert mp3/m4a/etc to Ogg

Greg Meyer greg at gkmweb.com
Sat Oct 27 04:50:35 UTC 2007

On Friday 26 October 2007, Jeff Mitchell wrote:
> On Friday 26 October 2007, Seb Ruiz wrote:
> > On 27/10/2007, Harrison Metzger <harrisonmetz at gmail.com> wrote:
> > > Hello, I've been a casual Amarok user for about a year. I have a bunch
> > > of audio files in various formats which are a residue from my old
> > > windows days. While my Amarok on Ubuntu can play these files fine,
> > > other programs, like k3b, can't seem to burn them. Even if it could, I
> > > would still like to convert my entire library to ogg. Is this possible
> > > in Amarok? If not, would something like this need to be incorporated
> > > into its codebase, or could a plugin be written, etc? (Does a native
> > > linux program (besides using command line oggenc and mad, faad
> > > commands) even exist?)
> >
> > You can use applications like soundKonverter to do this for you in a
> > batch manner. There are also some scripts which are available which
> > can allow you to do this from within Amarok itself. I'd recommend
> > going with the standalone application though, it would be much more
> > reliable.
> >
> > There are no plans to incorporate any of these sort of features into
> > Amarok.
>
> There's also transkode.  Try both, see what you like.  YMMV as always.

TransKode works very nicely.  I've been using it here to make CD's of mp3's
for my car stereo, and have no problem with it.  It was a little tricky to
set up until I realized you had to explicitly save a profile.

Also, here is a little script I wrote to transcode m4a's to ogg's.  It's
called m4a2ogg and I've attached it here, hopefully you find it useful.  It
is heavily commented, so you should have no problem reading through it to
tweak it for your own use.  Make sure you understand it before you try to use
it as is.  I'd hate for it to screw up your files accidentally.  It obviously
requires faad and oggenc be installed.

Cheers!

--
Greg