Amarok may save invalid xml playlists

Miguel Angel Alvarez maacruz at gmail.com
Fri Oct 19 14:23:06 UTC 2007

Hi all,
The saved playlist may not be valid xml, containing escaped non-utf8
characters which in turn will cause parsers to fail.
See this bugreport for replaygain someone sent me, and have a look at the
attached playlist in line 1551:

Traceback (most recent call last):
  File
"/home/yoda/.kde/share/apps/amarok/scripts/amarok_replaygain/amarok_replaygain.py",
line 1095, in <module>
    PlayList.update()
  File
"/home/yoda/.kde/share/apps/amarok/scripts/amarok_replaygain/amarok_replaygain.py",
line 877, in update
    xmlparser.parse(str(amarok_dcop.playlist.saveCurrentPlaylist()[1]))
  File "/usr/lib/python2.5/site-packages/_xmlplus/sax/expatreader.py", line
109, in parse
    xmlreader.IncrementalParser.parse(self, source)
  File "/usr/lib/python2.5/site-packages/_xmlplus/sax/xmlreader.py", line
123, in parse
    self.feed(buffer)
  File "/usr/lib/python2.5/site-packages/_xmlplus/sax/expatreader.py", line
220, in feed
    self._err_handler.fatalError(exc)
  File "/usr/lib/python2.5/site-packages/_xmlplus/sax/handler.py", line 38,
in fatalError
    raise exception
xml.sax._exceptions.SAXParseException:/home/yoda/.kde/share/apps/amarok/current.xml:1551:51:
reference to invalid
character number

This is not actually a problem for me, since the affected parts are not of
interes for replaygain and I have already written a workaround, but for other
people this may be a more severe problem.

Regards,
Miguel Angel
--
Don't see the world through a window, be open{source}minded, and be free :-)