[Feedback] Shn support

Jeff Mitchell kde-dev at emailgoeshere.com
Tue Nov 6 01:44:07 UTC 2007

On Monday 05 November 2007, Dan wrote:
> ho_ofbabylon at yahoo.com wrote:
> > mikeize sent a message using the contact form at
> > http://amarok.kde.org/en/contact.
> >
> > Hey guys,
> >
> > Great job with Amarok.  I love it even though I'm using a gnome
> > environment (in ubuntu gutsy).  So many fun and useful features...  it's
> > really helping me start to sort out (and enjoy) the mess that is my music
> > collection.  It's also helping me convert my audiophile wife over to
> > linux, so thanks for that too!
> > But... if there was ONE thing that I could wish for Amarok to have, it
> > would be shn playback functionality.  I know it's not the most popular
> > format, but like linux, it's gaining ground for good reason.  I have
> > quite a lot of music in shn format, and it's frustrating to have such a
> > great all-around music player that can't play my files.  So frustrating
> > in fact, that I just use rhythmbox for all my music, since it plays shn
> > files.  This is lame because Amarok is obviously way more awesome than
> > rhythmbox (and most others).  So please, please, please move this up on
> > your to-do list and make a lot of dead-heads happy!  Cheers!
>
> Hi,
>
> Amarok can play shn's.  You need to add them from the files browser
> because shn is a horrible format that doesn't support metadata in the
> files, therefore it cannot be indexed.  My suggestion? Use flac.

To add onto that, Amarok can play anything that the engine you're using
supports.  Xine, the default engine, supports pretty much every format under
the sun, so when in doubt you can always try playing things from xine-ui or
xine on the command line to see if something works.  But tracks can't be put
in your collection unless they can be indexed, which requires them to have
metadata.

--Jeff