[Feedback] Playlist redesign

n1 at dwm.cc n1 at dwm.cc
Thu May 17 18:04:35 UTC 2007

David Martin sent a message using the contact form at
http://amarok.kde.org/en/contact.

One of your users pointed out a GTK application that looks similar to your
proposed playlist:

http://amarok.kde.org/wiki/Image:Justplaylist.png
vs
http://flickr.com/photos/dontodd/176983938

I use Amaork is because it is able to manage thousands of files. Linear
playlists like XMMS/Winamp simply don't scale as well. I feel like Winamp's
developers knew this, and were trapped between trying to preserve their old
playlist UI/themes while trying to provide advanced search features. It
seems like a bad idea to revert to a design like "Listen" which appears
based on Winamp's Media Library "hack":

http://img116.imageshack.us/my.php?image=winampwb9.gif
vs
http://blog.inelegant.org/wp-content/uploads/2006/12/listen.png

I know your playlist would still have the search bar, but I just don't see
how this is an improvement. I also don't want to see it become cluttered
like Winamp or "Listen".  You tried making other changes in a previous
beta, and users were quite vocal because they /like/ the current UI. Please
consider this and gather additional feedback before making substantial UI
changes.

Thanks for everything you've done so far in making Amarok such a great
player. I know you want it to be the best possible, and I'm sure it will be
in the end.