Long playlist causes long startup

Rich rich at hq.vsaa.lv
Wed May 2 07:56:57 UTC 2007

On 2007.04.28. 00:33, Andrew Ash wrote:
> A ubuntu user [1] is having problems with Amarok taking a long time
> (60sec) to startup when having a rather large playlist already open
> (~4400 files).  The user found that decreasing the playlist size
> directly corresponds with the time taken on startup.  I was wondering
> if there was any work being done to optimize Amarok in this respect
> recently.

as you already found out, the short answer is "don't do that" :)
as it's not always easy for a user coming from winamp/xmms to do that
efficiently, i would suggest taking a look at a quick introduction to
some features that would help to get rid of huge playlists.

basically combining smart and dynamic playlists you can have a better
functionality than using single huge playlist - and get speed
improvements, too :)
http://amarok.kde.org/wiki/Dynamic_Playlist_Walkthrough

--
  Rich