feature suggestion re: various artists albums

Colin Guthrie gmane at colin.guthr.ie
Mon Mar 19 10:22:09 UTC 2007

Geoff C wrote:
> Hello Amarok developers/mailing listers, first let me just say that
> Amarok made me give up my distaste for media libraries.  Amarok is
> just a cut above.
>
> So here's what I was thinking: the "Compilations With ..." section of
> the context tab should be adapted for the Collection tab.
>
> Keep all the albums under 'Various Artists', but if a collection
> contains albums by an artist on a VA record, put that(or those) VA
> record(s) just underneath the artist's own albums too, as a sort of
> media-library symlink.
>
> That's all, keep up the good work eh.

I'd also like to see support for "Album Artists" added to the VA stuff.

While I like the fact that VA works so well in Amarok, I have lots of
e.g. LTJ Bukem albums which are often tracks by other people mixed (DJ
style) by LTJ. I would prefer these VA albums appear under the LTJ Bukem
Artist entry and not under "Various Artists".

Personally I physically tag my ID3/Vorbis Comments with an AlbumArtist
field (TPE3 in ID3 and ALBUMARTIST in Vorbis Comment) that literally
reads "Various Artists" so that I can just use the contents of that
field literally in the Collection Browser (this is how I patched MythTV
to work and it works on the whole pretty nicely).

The problem of doing this in Amarok is that it would enforce a metadata
style on people.... They may have to retag a lot of files and this may
not go down too well, even if it were fully automated by an Upgrade....

Just some thoughts...

Col.