2.0 Themes and Templating

Gleb Litvjak blaster999 at gmail.com
Sun Mar 18 12:42:40 UTC 2007

On Sunday 18 March 2007 09:50:31 Emil Sedgh wrote:
> AmaroK currently has Theme support for its Context Bar.But these themes are
> not more than easy CSS Files.so Designers cannot change the real look of
> the context bar.
> I Suggest a Templating System to be used in 2.0 (like Smarty in PHP).
> You pass some variables to HTML File and Theme.html (For example) which
> Designer will include in his theme will use them.
> with this, HTML Designers will able to implement Tabs (Lyrics, Music and
> Wikipedia Page)with some Javascript in their HTML Themes if they want,
> else, they could use theme all in once...and there could be hundreds of
> different looks.

Hello Emil,

I am a PHP programmer too, and use Smarty a lot. I like your idea, though I
see several difficulties:

Currently, Amarok itself generates the HTML files. To implement templates,
Amarok should either include a templating engine, or use an external one.
Moreover, this operation is more CPU-intensive (although this would be hard
to notice on modern systems). Also, this would require more work and skills
from theme designers (which could be partly solved by providing example
templates with comments).

I am not an Amarok developer, so my answer is not authoritative, just some
thoughts :)

Best regards,
Gleb Litvjak

--