GUI changes

Christian Weilbach christian_weilbach at web.de
Thu Mar 15 07:55:41 UTC 2007

Hi,

Well the point why I have been posting my suggestions is that the mockup looks
really great. The reason why it looks so great is that the interface is less
cluttered by controls. If you have a closer look, there are even no borders
inbetween the collection list and the search box. Or between the play buttons
and the equalizer. I think that adding the tabs on top and having the search
box outside the collection list widget is no problem, but adding too many
buttons, seperators and stuff is simply more stressing for the eyes. I
suggest some policy like:
'Move everything not needed for a 'normal' session to the menus and make it
addable to the toolboxes for power users who use it more often. Everything an
average user only changes once per release lifetime should go to the
configuration dialog.'

1. The vertical bar
Additionally the vertical bar is missing in the mockup. It wouldn't be half as
beautyful. I don't think that the argument that we have that in other KDE 3
applications really fits the problem and stresses my eyes less ;-).
First of all Konqueror, which has a comparable vertical menu, is replaced by
Dolphin for that purpose, which uses a horizontal list of places and has a
clear focus on recent usability thoughts. Maybe one could show the bar on
mouse over only or when getting near to the left border of the window. This
would be a great choice for other applications like konqui, too. Make the
widgets animated and more organic (I love Apple for that ;-) ). This makes
them more usable, too.

2. The search options
I think that there should be a search menu for choosing stuff like the view
(list,ipod,...), show divider and choose a filter. You change these options
very rarely once you know what you like. You don't need the controls in every
session. Maybe you can add them through the tools configuration to some
toolbar (besides the play buttons, maybe?).
The drop-down menu to choose whether to search the 'entire collection', 'added
last week', ... takes too much space. Maybe one could move that to the search
menu, too or show an arrow for the menu only (maybe too hidden :-( ).

3. About the tabs
Well the same argument as above. I don't think you change the tabs very often.
I don't. If you consider changing them less than once in a session I would
consider moving them to the bottom. Probably the general to power user uses
them much more often and then you should keep them at top. Actually I don't
see a big problem leaving them at top.

4. About making everything configurable
I agree in not making everything configurable. In my opinion many less used
options should be moved to menus and the user should be able to add them via
the tools configuration (I don't know the exact English names). Tabs need not
to be configurable in my opinion. It is simply too much work for no feature.

Well I've tried to collect some of the recent ideas in this thread and make
the discussion a little bit more differentiated. And once again I am no
usability pro, these are only my two €-pence ;-)

Cheers,
whilo

P.S.: The new interface looks much better than the old one. Great job and a
great application.