yauap and xine engine problems: no sound from either

Nix nix at esperi.org.uk
Wed Mar 7 13:53:42 UTC 2007

I've been meaning to start using amarok rather than bare ogg123 for
music playing for a year or so, but have so far been stymied by one
insignificant little problem: I can't get it to make any sound.

Specifically, with the xine backend enabled, all the various visual
things which should bounce up and down when sound is emitted *do* bounce
up and down, so the audio is being decoded OK: but I never ever hear
anything. (xine itself works fine, both with sound going via ALSA and
with sound going via PulseAudio, so there's nothing wrong with xine-lib
1.1.4 itself).

If nobody's seen this before and I can't get any other backends to work
I'll have to start instrumenting xine-lib to see where on earth the
sound is disappearing to, because it's certainly never hitting ALSA.

But I'd *really* like to use the yauap backend: all the niftiness and
customizability (and instability) of gstreamer in a whole new tiny
package :) alas, with stable amarok 1.4 from SVN r640148 running atop
dbus 1.0.2, it simply claims that oggs are `not playable', and
attempting to add an MP3 to the playlist hangs forever; a variety of
strange messages are getting emitted in the process:

** ERROR **: file dbus-gproxy.c: line 2167 (dbus_g_proxy_begin_call_internal): assertion failed: (pending != NULL)
aborting...
Very strange! got a DCOPReplyWait opcode, but we were not waiting for a reply!
Very strange! got a DCOPReplyDelayed opcode, but we were not waiting for a reply!

Other problems, more minor and I'll probably fix them myself: amarok
claims that libvisual isn't installed or doesn't have any
visualizations, which is rubbish, libvisual 0.4.0 and all accoutrements
*are* installed; and amarok needed a few tiny tweaks for my environment
(mostly defaulting Artist from Composer and vice versa if unset, because
I use Artist to indicate *performer*, and leave it unset if it's the
same as Composer, while MP3s of course have an artist and not a
composer, so grouping by composer doesn't do what I'd want unless I
default them from each other). I'll post a tiny patch for that if anyone
cares.

--
`In the future, company names will be a 32-character hex string.'
  --- Bruce Schneier on the shortage of company names