Fwd: I want Amarok for video!

Mark Kretschmann markey at web.de
Wed Mar 7 00:07:49 UTC 2007

Subject: I want Amarok for video!
Date: Wednesday 07 March 2007 00:49
From: "Stig Nyström" <stignystrom at gmail.com>
To: markey at web.de, shanachie at yucom.be, admin at leinir.dk

I have noted that Amarok does not index mu .ts or my .vob files but it plays
them O.K (the sound, that is).
What would it take to make Amarok play video?

I really like the way Amarok manages my music collection, adding
functionality that would be very difficult to manage manually (context info,
indexing from a collection of data files to a collection of music and
artists.

I even tried to start Xine first, then Amarok, in the hope that Amarok would
make use of the external Xine for my .ts and my .vob files! No such luck...

I then started using amarok as a file manager (unfortunately it doesn't
include the .vob and .ts files in my musical collection), just dragging and
dropping my files onto the Xine window. Works just like a nice prototype for
your new Manifold Amarok.

So, please please:

1
Make Amarok index also my videos

2
Make it "drag-and-drop" automatically

I'll install a few test enviroments to your spec's, if you need to save your
own time for higher purposes.

I don't  know much of your organisation, but i tried to pick names for
"Integration" and "Usability", as I'm pretty certain that the coding is not
an obstacle in this case.

And if you look at the proposal from a user perspective, you see that it is
a very logical extension to the current Amarok, keeping all functionality
that have made Amarok into the success it is.

Some might object, saying that Xine already can play both sound and video ,
but they have then missed the point, that Amarok operates on a higher
functional level than on the filesystem level.

Will this be Amarok 2 or Amarok 3?

B.R/Stig