[feature reguest] Possibility for an optional replacement of amarok tray in third party aplication

Stilitiano stilitiano at gmail.com
Sun Mar 4 14:26:10 UTC 2007

I've started using  Kirocker Music Display for Amarok (
http://www.kde-apps.org/content/show.php?content=52869 ) and thought it
could also be a good replacement for standard amarok-tray but as
developer of Kirocker said when I asked him about implementing this
feature "The problem is that when you disable the Amarok tray icon, you
can't hide the Amarok main window anymore. If you close the main window,
the entire Amarok application quit. You have to have the Amarok window
in your taskbar."

It is true so I thought that Amarok should allow other applications to
act as amarok-tray. Then Kirocker could have in it's properties "Let
Kirocker be your standard amarok tray application" or "Set Kirocker as
default amarok tray", whatever. Advantages?

- better Kirocker =)
- possibility of better integration plasma with Amarok (
http://amarok.kde.org/blog/archives/321-KDE4-Backstage.html )
- possibility of better Superkarramba widgets for Amarok

I don't have any idea how to implement this (API, configuration file to
modify by third party applications?) but IMO it is wort to implement.
What do you think?

Greetings
Piotr