Amarok 1.4.5 and 1.4.6 freeze

Orcan Ogetbil orcanbahri at yahoo.com
Fri Jun 29 19:39:25 UTC 2007

--- Miguel Angel Alvarez <maacruz at gmail.com> wrote:

> El Viernes, 29 de Junio de 2007 08:07, Mark
> Kretschmann escribió:
> > Have you tried to disable crossfading? It's the
> number one instability
> > factor regarding the engine.
> The hang seems to happen waiting some event in the
> kernel, all threads are on
> a kernel syscall.
> Try changing the alsa drivers or the kernel.
>
> --
> Don't see the world through a window, be
> open{source}minded, and be free :-)

Short answer: Problem solved (amarok is playing
without a freeze for about 12 hours now).

Long answer:
I tried different kernels, different versions of alsa,
arts (I don't know if it matters), different sound
card. I erased ~/.kde/share/config/amarok* ,
~/.kde/share/apps/amarok* and ~/.xine. But I still had
the freeze.

My deskop has Fedora since FC3. I always kept
upgrading instead of fresh installing. I checked my
package database and found old RPMs from FC6 and FC5
and even a couple from FC4. I found out that xine-lib
depends on some of these old pacakages. For some
reason fedora package manager yum didn't do its work.

So I manually erased all those packages and replaced
them with the most recent ones. You know what? This
didn't prevent the freezes either.

Next, I logged in as a new user and checked. Amarok
worked fine for about an hour. I decided to erase my
home directory and start out fresh. This solved the
problem. I have no idea why. Erasing xine and amarok
config directories didn't help. But erasing the entire
home dir did.

Sorry to bother you guys.

Orcan

PS: Off-topic: I want to send a patch for the dcop
control of amarok. I am a karamba theme developer
(soundmania). I need a couple functions to be called
by dcop. Is this the right place to send them?