[Feedback] single database, multiple computers | making amarok better

David Lütolf dlutolf at worldcom.ch
Tue Jun 26 17:04:57 UTC 2007

Le Tuesday 26 June 2007 09:02:57 Rich, vous avez écrit :
> On 2007.06.25. 20:56, Jeff Mitchell wrote:
> > Quoting dlutolf at worldcom.ch:
> >> 1: I have a home server holding a few gigs of music, and running a mysql
> >> server. So I created an amarok DB on my mysql server, and all the music
> >> files are being accessed through an nfs share (which always has the same
> >> path, regardless of which machine I use it on). I hoped I could have the
> >> same settings on all computers (including playlists, album covers,
> >> etc..) without having to create links to ~/.kde3.5/share/apps/amarok and
> >> the like.
> >
> > Problem is that files are constantly being created and updated in
> > Amarok's home directory.  If you get two instances of the app writing
> > to the same place at the same time, you get corruption.  Not all file
> > sharing systems properly (can and/or do) lock files.
>
> that indeed would be sure to cause problems.
> but having the ability to specify a prefix for 'personal tables'
> (scores/ratings) would allow to move towards this goal.
> if playlists are moved into the db for 2.0, that would also be one item
> on the list less.

that would be just excellent. and also the ability to see other users'
ratings.. so when you're bored with your music you can check out what your
sister or roommate likes :-)

> > As for album covers, I'm not sure if we support album covers that are
> > embedded into files.  I certainly don't think we support doing this
> > embedding...but perhaps in the 2.0 series this will be something to
> > look into.
>
> would it make any sense from usability and performance reasons to keep
> covers inside the database ?

I don't think so. but I recall seeing a plugin that copies covers to the album
directory.. why not make this the default behaviour for amarok? (provided
there is write access to the fs). the filename of the picture could be stored
in the database

> >> 2: When I listen to a song I like and it gets to the end, I like to
> >> simply press "play" again to listen to it from the start. in this case,
> >> rating goes down. this sucks.
>
> this is score, btw ;)
>
> >> 3: again about rating: when creating playlists (especially when your
> >> collection is huge and you haven't used amarok for long and most songs
> >> have been never or seldom listened to) I want to listen to the start of
> >> a song and then say "good song, play the next please", "this is ok, next
> >> one" or even "this really sucks, next one". I can't. this sucks too. (I
> >> tried the "I love this" shortcut but did not notice any effect)
> >
> > "I Love This" is for Last.fm.  You can do this in two keystrokes:  Use
> > Win+(1,2,3,4,5) to set a track rating (press twice for a half rating,
> > and a third press for a one-star rating removes the rating from the
> > track), then Win+B to jump to the next track.  If you want to create
> > playlists, it's pretty trivial to make Smart Playlists based on the
> > ratings you set.
>
> in addition to using ratings, you might want to disable scoring while
> doing this :
> dcop amarok collection disableAutoScoring true
> after you are finshed, remember to run
> dcop amarok collection disableAutoScoring false
> (or restart amarok - this setting will be reset)

cool feature! does it apper anywhere else than in the source code or in your
minds? ;-)

> > --Jeff

have a nice day

-Dave