[Feedback] single database, multiple computers | making amarok better

dlutolf at worldcom.ch dlutolf at worldcom.ch
Mon Jun 25 17:39:34 UTC 2007

Dave sent a message using the contact form at
http://amarok.kde.org/en/contact.

oï!
I have suggestions to make so that amarok can definitely be THE killer
app:
1: I have a home server holding a few gigs of music, and running a mysql
server. So I created an amarok DB on my mysql server, and all the music
files are being accessed through an nfs share (which always has the same
path, regardless of which machine I use it on). I hoped I could have the
same settings on all computers (including playlists, album covers, etc..)
without having to create links to ~/.kde3.5/share/apps/amarok and the
like.
2: When I listen to a song I like and it gets to the end, I like to simply
press "play" again to listen to it from the start. in this case, rating
goes down. this sucks.
3: again about rating: when creating playlists (especially when your
collection is huge and you haven't used amarok for long and most songs have
been never or seldom listened to) I want to listen to the start of a song
and then say "good song, play the next please", "this is ok, next one" or
even "this really sucks, next one". I can't. this sucks too. (I tried the
"I love this" shortcut but did not notice any effect)
4: music videos. I'd like to use an external player (like vlc) to play the
video contained in some files
5: vizualisations: they're useless so you don't need to do anything about
them :-)
6: when searching for a song in the collection, I can press "enter" to add
it to the playlist. it would be cool if I could do something like
"ctrl+enter" to add it AND enque (or is it encue?) it.
7: OSD can be activated with a global win+o (I think it's the default).
but if you want not to have the OSD at the start of every song, you can't
chose where you want the OSD to show up without activating and then
deactivating automatic OSD
8: OSD again: delay BEFORE osd? I like to hear the start of a song and the
try to guess what it is, that's why.
9: playlists, webradios and podcasts: no search available. this sucks
too.
10: tags. when a collection was built from a lot of strange sources, the
tags are not always right. a tool to find similarities on tags (like case
differences) and batch-rename would be cool

after all these comments, I could say amarok sucks. in fact, it doesn't.
keep it up guys, excellent work until now!

-Dave