duplicate remover

Luke colorado_mountains2000 at yahoo.com
Mon Jun 11 01:10:52 UTC 2007

Thanks for the support guys.  Yeah we have a bunch of
great ideas but let's keep it simple first, I'll
probably first make it just remove the 'exact' same
files.  At first I wondered if the database mattered
but after playing with SQLITE3 I am happy I really
like how it can send stuff to standard output and
utilize bash!

Ian,
-dcop is a good idea because it's that much closer to
the plugin.  Although I remember the API for dcop was
lacking/hard to find, anyone have a link?  Also it
looks like the output isn't customizable to any format
you like.  For instance tell me which looks better
---
$ sqlite3 .kde/share/apps/amarok/collection.db 'select
* from amazon'
VS.
$ dcop amarok collection query 'select * from amazon'
---
sqlite3 uses '|' to delimit fields and 'newline' for
each row, while dcop uses 'newline' for fields and
rows.  Which makes me wonder what happens wnen you
encounter a null field will it just skip over it or
output a 'newline' in it's place so your parser won't
be off-by-one.
---
-You don't believe me?  I appreciate the skepticism
but I have seen MP3's with different bitrates show up
in the same album...but I now believe it is just
because the "album" tag is the same.
---
-musicbrainz doesn't support MP3.
---

Jeff,
When you search the wiki for AFT it doesn't find it
(http://amarok.kde.org/wiki/AFT) guess I found a
mediawiki bug.
"Unfortunately this means that you can't simply query
the AFT tables looking for duplicate unique ids..."
That's too bad using the AFT engine to remove exact
duplicates would be a really nice feature.  Why would
you need to remove the exact same files?  Well say for
instance you have an idiot brother that when he makes
playlists he drags and drops whole MP3's.

Thanks,
Luke