Xine, amarok, kaffeine incompatibility

Orcan Ogetbil orcanbahri at yahoo.com
Mon Jul 16 22:18:30 UTC 2007

--- Donn Washburn <n5xwb at hal-pc.org> wrote:

> Harald Sitter wrote:
> > On Monday 16 July 2007 23:31:37 Orcan Ogetbil
> wrote:
> >> I had the same problems shortly after this. I
> >> reinstalled my linux (Fedora 7) over. Even then I
> had
> >> the freeze.
> >
> > Personal statement: don't use Fedora!
> >

> A friend of mine is a Red Hat employee and he said
> they do not support
> MP4 and that is why he uses xmms (as I remember) and
> not Amarok.
> That is a shame!  I guess also because Fedora/Red
> Hat use gnome and not
> KDE.  Amarok seems to work well in SuSE 10.3 Alpha
> 5.  However, xine is
> crippled by SuSE for legal reasons.  You need to
> compile xine-lib and
> have all of the sound stuff from the CD/DVD.  To
> play a DVD you will
> need libdvdcss also.
>
> Amarok is the best streaming and file.mp3 player I
> have run across.
> --
> 73 de Donn Washburn
> 307 Savoy Street     Email: " n5xwb at hal-pc.org "
> Sugar Land, TX 77478 LL# 1.281.242.3256
> Ham Callsign N5XWB   HAMs : " n5xwb at arrl.net "
> VoIP via Gizmo: bmw_87kbike / via Skype: n5xwbg
> BMW MOA #: 4146 - Ambassador
>        " http://counter.li.org " #279316
>
> Did you know?
> The transistor was invented by three white men.

There are third party repos for fedora that have the
proprietary codecs for xine, amarok etc. They work
quite well.

This is not a distro-specific issue. As pointed out in
my original post last month I went through many
different version combinations of xine and amarok.

The problem is that amarok doesn't like the xine
configuration file kaffeine creates, possibly the
line:

engine.performance.memcpy_method:sse

I just wanted to tell that amarok freezes with the
above line in xine configuration.

Orcan