Xine, amarok, kaffeine incompatibility

Donn Washburn n5xwb at hal-pc.org
Mon Jul 16 22:03:37 UTC 2007

Harald Sitter wrote:
> On Monday 16 July 2007 23:31:37 Orcan Ogetbil wrote:
>> I had the same problems shortly after this. I
>> reinstalled my linux (Fedora 7) over. Even then I had
>> the freeze.
>
> Personal statement: don't use Fedora!

A friend of mine is a Red Hat employee and he said they do not support
MP4 and that is why he uses xmms (as I remember) and not Amarok.
That is a shame!  I guess also because Fedora/Red Hat use gnome and not
KDE.  Amarok seems to work well in SuSE 10.3 Alpha 5.  However, xine is
crippled by SuSE for legal reasons.  You need to compile xine-lib and
have all of the sound stuff from the CD/DVD.  To play a DVD you will
need libdvdcss also.

Amarok is the best streaming and file.mp3 player I have run across.
--
73 de Donn Washburn
307 Savoy Street     Email: " n5xwb at hal-pc.org "

Did you know?
The transistor was invented by three white men.