[Feedback] Open Source Media Device

scott at scottainsliesutton.net scott at scottainsliesutton.net
Fri Jul 6 17:57:05 UTC 2007

Scott sent a message using the contact form at
http://amarok.kde.org/en/contact.

I'd like to introduce myself; my name is Scott, I'm 20 years old and I
currently residing in Scotland in the United Kingdom. I have been using
Linux for 1 year and have recently begun considering creating an Open
Source project built upon a conglomeration of other projects.

I have become frustrated with the monopoly that Apple currently has within
the portable media device market and although I own an Apple iPod myself, I
wrote an article on my WordPress Weblog expressing the wish to be able to
have a Firmware replacement built upon the RockBox project with additional
features including an Online Store consisting of free music provided by
Magnatune, Podcast and Video Podcast support provided by Democracy Player
with the versatility and customisability of Amarok Fast Forward as well as
many other features to create a feature-rich alternative for Apple iPod and
CREATIVE Zen owners.

Although I do not have technical skill within the field of Computer
Programming and other such subsets, I am currently contacting each of the
projects whose features I would like to be able to use within my project
requesting a response as to the feasibility of my concept as from my own
personal research I have concluded that there is currently no function or
application available which supports such features that are available for
portable media devices; certainly Apple's iTunes service is the only
service which offers Music, Podcast and Video Podcast support but I would
like for the Open Source Community to be able to create a feature-rich
alternative if it is at all possible.

Having already contacted John Buckman, owner of Magnatune, he has given
support to my concept, and I hope that the Amarok Development Team will
consider my proposal for a cross-application project between yourselves,
Democracy Player, RockBox and Magnatune also; John certainly thinks that
it's a good idea and has promised Creative Commons content if the project
is agreed upon by all parties.

I would be most appreciative of your view on this matter. My Weblog entry
is available to view at the following URL :
http://ainsliesuttonscott.wordpress.com/2007/07/02/an-open-source-media-device-is-it-possible/

Regards

Scott