Improved device support, syncing, mtp, last.fm

Michael Ralston michael at ralston.id.au
Thu Jul 5 21:35:59 UTC 2007

I'm interested in improving the music device support in last.fm. In
particular I'd like it to be able to automatically put new songs on my
mp3 player via some sort of playlist mechanism. Similar to what
Windows Media Player can do.

While doing this I'm also interested in finding a way to read the play
count for songs from MTP devices (i know my device, an iRiver Clix
supports this). Also it would be nice if amarok could submit the songs
played on the music device to last.fm. This would make amarok the
first music player to be able to submit last.fm data from a mtp
device.

I have more than 10 years of c++ programming experience, but I'm not
sure if hacking directly on amarok's sources would be the best way to
do all this. Would I be better off learning ruby and attempting this
via an amarok script?

I'm interested in anyone else's thoughts on this, and if anybody would
like to collaborate on this little project over the next 2 weeks.

Michael