A couple of suggestions

Ivo Bonev bonev at in.tum.de
Mon Jul 2 13:38:38 UTC 2007

Thanks for the replies!

On Mon, 2007-07-02 at 09:06 -0400, Jeff Mitchell wrote:
> On Monday 02 July 2007, Rich wrote:
> > On 2007.07.02. 15:33, Ivo Bonev wrote:
> > > Hi all,
> > >
> > > first I have to say that I installed amarok before 2 days and I already
> > > LOVE it. It is really great. I have however two suggestions which might
> > > eventually have been proposed, considered or even implemented. Here they
> > > are:
> > >
> > > 1. Proxy settings
> > > I understand that Amarok is a KDE app, but it can (and should) be run
> > > under Gnome too. For Joe, a gnome user, it is not so intuitive that he
> > > needs to change the proxy settings in KDE's control center (apart from
> > > changing them with the gnome tool for the rest of the system). This
> > > means that when Joe goes into a new environment (laptop's env. changes
> > > fast) he needs to change proxy settings in 2+1 places so that he can
> > > listen to streams with amarok. It could be nicer if amarok could check
> > > out gnome settings too.
> >
> > this would probably have to be integrated at some kde/gnome
> > interoperability level, not in each application.
> > this way, setting a proxy in one of the desktop environment's settings
> > would propogate it to environment variables, other des and whatnot
>
> Right.  For things like lyric and wikipedia fetching it uses the settings in
> KDE's control center alone.  But what Rich said is a nice goal, and I'm
> hoping (but haven't been able to find out) that in KDE4 you have an easy way
> to add proxy settings to an application.

Yes, I totally agree that it is better if this solution was high-level.
I hope it will be done some day soon.

> > > 2. Music on a share
> > > Alice uses amarok on her laptop and at home she has a samba share with
> > > music which is auto-mounted on her laptop. However when she is not home
> > > amarok tries to query this media in vain as it is then not mounted.
> > > Timeout does not exist or is taking too long forcing Alice to remove
> > > this part of the media and add it each time she is (not) home.
> > > It would be nice to be able to add "remote" media which is first (at
> > > start and eventually in intervals) pinged and if not reachable marked as
> > > "not currently usable" or whatever however allowing the local media to
> > > be played. In this way when Alice gets home and gets connected to her
> > > samba, the remote media is again available.
> >
> > this should be working just fine. first, make sure you are running
> > latest version of amarok.
> > second, verify that 'dcop kded mediamanager fullList' returns list of
> > your drives.
>
> What Rich said -- make sure it returns a list of your drives.  Also see
> http://amarok.kde.org/wiki/Dynamic_Collection

hm.. I guess I did something wrong then. I have my cifs share in fstab
and the KDE mediamanager lists it:

---
/org/kde/mediamanager/fstab/****Musicmntmusic
Music
Remote Share (//****/Music)

true
//****/Music
/mnt/music
cifs
true

media/smb_mounted

I am using Amarok 1.4.5.
I will try and find my problem, I don't want to turn this thread into
fixing my own problem. Thanks for your hints!

Regards,
Ivo