Database Features (suggestions)

Michael Guimet Pekszyc michaelangelgp at gmail.com
Mon Jan 29 18:14:22 UTC 2007

Hi,

I'm new on the list. I read on the FAQ that ideas and suggestions were
accepted on the list so I decided to give it a go. Just to set you on
track let me tell you I'm not using the svg version but 1.4.4 on
Gentoo. Excuse me if the ideas proposed are not suitable for Amarok or
are out of the features Amarok wants to offer. I'm also aware that the
FF series is in its end but I thought it interesting to expose my
ideas anyway.

Before using Amarok, i used prokyon3
(http://prokyon3.sourceforge.net/) to keep my music database. Amarok
preforms as a "player" much better than prokyon3. It also has a better
display of artwork and information. In fact, prokyon3 uses external
programs for those features (being able to choose Amarok as a player
if desired). Now, I believe that prokyon3 preforms better in the
database/tag editing functions. Obviously, this is an opinion but I
specially like 2 features from this program. The first is the way it
keeps removable media in the database and "labels" CDs so you can know
what cd your song is on. I do realise that in a world where hard drive
prices are decreasing this is a relatively unimportant feature,
nevertheless it's specially useful for those of us with older
computers. The second feature I'd like to highlight is the tag editing
options it provides. All in all I get a better database experience on
prokyon3 than on Amarok. Unfortunately I'm not aware of why this is
so. If there are any other prokyon3 users around could they provide
some reasons?

To resume, being Amarok my music player I miss some of the options of
a more database like program. I'm not saying Amarok should adopt these
features and I understand that Amarok is a music player and not a
database frontend but, with music collections growing in size should
more database related feature be considered? Thanks for your time and
thank you for your work on the best player around.

Michael

(Please note all the ideas exposed are not mine but from the prokyon3
project that is GPLed)