Planning for 2.0

Colin Guthrie gmane at colin.guthr.ie
Sun Feb 18 13:32:24 UTC 2007

Seb Ruiz wrote:
> On 18/02/07, Colin Guthrie <gmane at colin.guthr.ie> wrote:
>> ccache, distcc and icecream are all great tools to reduce compile time.
>> If the configure/build system does not support these, adding this it
>> would presumably be a quick and easy way of achieving this goal.
>
> It is unacceptable to expect developers to have access to enough
> powerful hardware to be able to use any of these tools to any useful
> extent. Anyway, they don't help much with linking.

True but if they "just work" and can be added easily in terms of the
configure system etc. then there is little point in /not/ adding them :)
OK it may not "solve the problem" but every little helps.

Granted the linking is not affected, but certainly when building MythTV
(which takes an age!), it is substantially sped up by using ccache, so I
figured I'd mention it in response to the queries about speeding up
developers compiling time.

Col.