Planning for 2.0

Colin Guthrie gmane at colin.guthr.ie
Sun Feb 18 10:27:55 UTC 2007

Nick Tryon wrote:
> - Support for more tags, at least the Performer tag in addition to the
> Composer tag.

I've waxed lyrical about the need for a more configurable hierarchy
before in auto apps, as this has always been a bug bear of mine.

I'd recommend reading this:
http://colin.guthr.ie/development/projects/metalibrarian.html which
talks about an all singing all dancing idea that has/will probably never
happen but the configuability part of it I think Amarok should try to
achieve.

Plugins have been mentioned already. I think it's critical that said
plugins can be packaged separately at a distro level, so that if I want
MySQL support, then I install the plugin package that pulls in the
mysqlclient dependancy etc. I think this is taken as read by everyone
but just saying it out loud!

Also in terms of code layout, I really think it would be a great ideal
to completely separate the scanner/metadata system from the
frontend/player system. If such separation was done it would be much
easier to create the metalibrarian idea above and other apps (e.g.
MythTV could theoretically benefit from this layer and use it too (which
would also mean that Amarok and Myth could use the same backend
database/ratings/playlists etc which would be nice). Ideally this would
not have the dependancy on Qt and other such thinks to keep this as
portable as possible, but I think that's asking a bit too much!

Is someone going to wiki'ify this thread? I worry that such discussions
on MLs never really help to much in terms of guiding development if the
essence of the ideas etc. are not cataloged properly (I've seen this
happen over and over!)

Just some thoughts.

Col