xine engine failure

Donn Washburn n5xwb at hal-pc.org
Wed Feb 7 12:16:00 UTC 2007

Peter C. Ndikuwera wrote:
> Same here. I use packman & guru's repositories and everything updates fine.
>
> This is alot of FUD.
>
> On 2/7/07, Rich <rich at hq.vsaa.lv> wrote:
>> Donn Washburn wrote:
>>> Hey Group;
>>>
>>> After one of SuSE's Update screw ups now xine audio is not working with
>>> Amarok.  So, in an effort to fix the problem I have downloaded and
>>> compiled libvisual 4 and plugins, xine-lib 1.1.4 and xine.gui. All "make
>>> check"s worked and I installed all of them - still amarok fails to see
>>> xine audio.  Also Amarok 1.4.5 is still failing to compile in /libvisual
>> usually packman xine + guru amarok has worked fine for me. have you
>> tried those precompiled packages ?
>>
>>> Anyone have a clue?
>>>
>>> Also SuSE users DO NOT download via the Update system libzypp.so.209.0.5
>>> or atleast refuse to let it remove things.  That disaster is likely to
>>> cause a complete reload.
>> --
>>   Rich
Well I did try packman's 1.4.5 rpm and it complains about missing
dependencies.   To which I did download, using "ldd
/opt/kde3/bin/amarokap" after it failed showed.  It now comes up but
states "no audio".
I think it is likely a mixed libs problem or permissions.  I was going
to compile Amarok from source but it fails in /libvisual.  I did
download and install libvisual and it's plugins.  Still amarok fails in
/libvisual when compiled - more tonight maybe!.

Running as root I get this message - clue to try

Amarok could not find any sound-engine plugins. Amarok is now updating
the KDE configuration database. Please wait a couple of minutes, then
restart Amarok.
If this does not help, it is likely that Amarok is installed under the
wrong prefix, please fix your installation using:
$ cd /path/to/amarok/source-code/
$ su -c "make uninstall"
$ ./configure --prefix=`kde-config --prefix` && su -c "make install"
$ kbuildsycoca
$ amarok
More information can be found in the README file. For further assistance
join us at #amarok on irc.freenode.net.

--
73 de Donn Washburn
307 Savoy Street     Email: " n5xwb at hal-pc.org "

Did you know?
The transistor was invented by three white men.