1.4.5 Packages

Greg Meyer greg at gkmweb.com
Tue Feb 6 20:23:20 UTC 2007

On Tuesday 06 February 2007, Niklas Nylund wrote:
> A small hint, if nothing else from a marketing stand point there
> should be packages available when there is a new release. Right now
> going to the homepage and clicking "Download Amarok" doesn't show any
> links to packages for Kubuntu, openSuse, Mandrive, Gentoo or Fedora.
> I suppose most people don't compile from source and to those people
> might be disappointed when they come to the web page and look for the
> new version.
>
> I guess it might be a bit difficult to organise this but if it isn't
> possible there should at least be a note somewhere saying that the
> packages are coming. Would it be better to next time give the package
> maintainers some extra time also to make packages before announcing
> the new version publicly?

Yes, the project does try to release in this fashion.  The packagers we know
about are given notice ahead of time about the release so that they have time
to build their distros's packages.  In the end though, we can't control what
the distros do.

Also, some distros don't like backporting new software into their stable tree
and instead update their development version (think ubuntu and mandriva,
although I think both have a backports project now).   In this case, there
have often been community packagers that step up and provide packages, but
not in every case.

--
Greg