Ready. Steady. Amarok 2.0 development begins!!

Seb Ruiz me at sebruiz.net
Fri Feb 2 03:13:16 UTC 2007

To all developers, users, supporters and spies,

Now is the time we are beginning to work on Amarok 2.0. Big times
ahead. It's exciting, but in order to have a successful 2.x series, it
is important to do some planning in advance and know how we will
tackle some problems. We mentioned most, if not all of these at our
May meeting in Holland last year. An audio transcript of the
discussion can still be found at:
   http://www.sebruiz.net/files/amarok.k3m.discussion.ogg

Let me list a couple which need to be decided upon:

* Engines to be external processes due to licensing?

* Database restructuring? We obviously need a more OO designed
interface, but do we want to use Kexi?

* Engine Controller redesign. We are using the Observer pattern which
is useful, does this need an overhaul?

* MVC designed browsers/components?

* More complete plugin API (not just scripting). Think Firefox extensions.

* Interface redesign. We had a couple of suggestions already, but are
we ready to take such a huge leap? Conversely, Amarok has always been
at the front of the pack because we do take risks.

* Native ports to Windows / OS X. More than likely will occur, but
let's keep this on the backseat until we have a function application.

This list isn't exhaustive, and by no means are all of these points
going to be achieved or even attempted. I have posted them for
discussion reasons, it would be useful to have some discussion on the
mailing list which is more permanently archived than IRC meetings.

Happy rocking towards 2.0!
Seb

--
http://www.sebruiz.net/