Sugerencias prioridad y WMA (suggestions about nice and WMA)

Miguel Angel Alvarez maacruz at gmail.com
Fri Aug 31 23:48:18 UTC 2007

El Viernes, 31 de Agosto de 2007 23:13, José Antonio González Diosdado
escribió:
> It would be a good idea for Amarok to be preconfigured for working with a
> highest CPU priority, thats because its usage as a normal user its very
To do what you suggest amarok should be suid root, and that is definitely NOT
a good idea.
> slow, example when you are making a playlist or in the changes between a
> track to another, it delays a lot. In stead if I work in it as root and I
> increase the priority it works very well, as it must be, and I haven't seen
> any problem with the system due to increasing the priority.
I don't see any of such big delays or slowdowns  using an 3 years old Athlon
XP 2 GHz. Track change time is in the order of 0,1 s. May be your machine is
much older.
> Another suggestion is to include a third party codec to play WMA loseless
> files (actually its possible to play normal WMAs), and it would be a good
> idea to include that codec in the Amarok shared libraries.
Amarok plays what libxine/phonon supports, so the right place to ask for this
would be libxine and phonon mailing lists. Anyway, I'd suggest you not to use
undocumented propietary fileformats and use any other free-as-in-freedom
fully-documented file formats. For losless you could use flac, for example.

--
Don't see the world through a window, be open{source}minded, and be free :-)