[Feedback] Amarok 2 UI/playlist feedback

Leo Franchi lfranchi at gmail.com
Sat Aug 4 16:27:47 UTC 2007

On 8/4/07, Serhiy Veryovka <4bugzilla at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hello,
>
> Thank you for your reply.
>
> I understand that in this case (in case of anyopen source project) the
> decision is up to develops. And there is no option. But I wanted to write my
> comments in case you are interested. If not, just don't read the rest of
> this email.
>
> > So as part of the UI reworking for Amarok 2, the playlist is seeing a
> rebirth of sorts. While it still lists Tracks, Titles, and other tags, it
> will no >longer be constrained by the old fashioned playlist column format.
> From my personal point of view the winamp-like play list is old fashioned.
> Just look what you can do with winamp's playlist. You can have it and watch
> it and that's it. And compare this to the playlist of iTunes. You can sort
> by different columns, prevent some tracks from playing without remowing them
> from playlist. I was able to the the same in old version of Amarok. When I
> look to mockups you've pointed I see that the only difference between you
> new playlist and more-than-10-years-old winamp's playlist is that it can
> display additional tags excepto of artist, track name and track length. And
> also it allows you to filter content. But what it I want to sort my playlist
> by score or by plays count (or by anything elase).
>
> The other thing that comes to my mind when I look to these mockups is why
> are so many space on the screen are occupied by something that is not
> playlist. From my point of view the base thing for mucis player is list of
> songs. And that's why I expect it occupy most of player's space. But on your
> mockups I can see something different. I see that KDE's plasma desktop is on
> the middle of the player and occupies a lot of space. But I have that
> desktop without my music player. Why do I need it inside of my player? I can
> see it if I need without player.

Just to clarify, you will not have the plasma desktop inside of
amarok. We are merely using the the plasma library to create a
plasma-*like* area inside amarok.
There will be amarok-specific applets, and amarok-specific information, to
be found. You might (not sure yet) also be able to put Plasma applets into
amarok, but that is by no means the goal. So think of it as the reborn
Context Browser.

Integration with wikipedia and other web resources is good feature. It is

Leo Franchi                    angel666 at myrealbox.com
4305 Charlemagne Ct         lfranchi at gmail.com
Austin                                 cell: (650) 704 3680
TX, USA                              home: (650) 329 0125