Adding to Playlists

Ljubomir Simin ljubomir.simin at gmail.com
Thu Sep 14 17:31:53 UTC 2006

On Thursday 14 September 2006 16:27, Keith Hanlon wrote:
> I usually keep Amarok open with the "Entire Collection" playlist
> selected. I'm used to iTunes from my Mac & Windows days, so that's
> what I'm comfortable with. However, I have noticed that when I add
> tracks to my media directory, they are usually not added to the
> "Entire Collection." Even if I select Rescan Collection, new tracks
> are not present. I have to browse my files, select the appropriate
> tracks or directory, then choose "append to playlist." Then I have to
> wait for the tracks to load, then resort my Entire Collection so it
> appears in the proper order.
>
> Is this the way it's supposed to work? I find it tedious and
> unreliable. Or is Amarok not supposed to be used this way?
>
> I'm really not the type of person that uses playlists. I like to have
> access to everything right in front of me, sometimes listening to my
> entire collection on random. I'd hate to break down my entire
> collection into smaller playlists. I don't even know where I'd begin
> if that were the case!
>
> I'm using Ubuntu Dapper with Amarok 1.4.3 built from source with MySql
> enabled.
>
> I'm just looking for some clarification. Am I using Amarok correctly?
> Thanks for your help with this issue.
>
> Keith

Hi!

You are trying to keep all your songs in the main playlist, however, Amarok is
more suitable for keeping songs in collection, and using only part of it in
the main playlist. This means, all your songs are available (and sorted) in
Collection Browser, and you use it to add some songs to playlist. When you're
bored, you can clean the playlist and add some other songs. You can also use
smart and dynamic playlists to automatically add some tracks to playlist. So,
basically, the playlist is just a 'playground' - a place where you
experiment, add tracks, remove them, and reorder, not a place to keep an eye
on all tracks.
However, if you insist on keeping whole collection of songs in your main
playlist, it would be more efficient to clean the playlist every time you add
new tracks to collection, and then re-fill playlist with "Entire Collection".
AFAIK there is no way of keeping main playlist automatically updated.

--
Ljubomir Simin
Registered Linux User #351181