2.0 Goal: API Docs

Jeff Mitchell kde-dev at emailgoeshere.com
Thu Sep 14 08:46:31 UTC 2006

(I'd add this to the Wiki, but until I get back from Hawai'i (FTW!)
I'm not in a good position to do so, mainly because I don't want to be
sending my password in cleartext over a publicly shared computer).

One thing I forgot to mention in my email 24 hours ago (and that I
didn't see on the Wiki if it's already there) is that as we do the
porting to QT/KDE 4, we are in the best position we'll ever be in for
the next X years to add API documentation to every class, every
function, and everywhere else it belongs.  I'll freely admit I'm as
guilty as any of us (except for Max, and maybe one or two others) as
far as not doing this, but we need it badly -- to help prevent
confusion, wasted time trying to figure out what a function does, and
so on.  Since we'll need to be reviewing pretty much every line of
code in Amarok as we do the conversion, what better time to properly
comment it?

I think a serious goal for 2.0 should be to have API documentation
added everywhere that it belongs, such that we should be able to
generate *complete* API documentation automatically.  It'll make
things easier for us, easier for new people to help us code, and, dare
I say it, help reverse the general view of Amarok coders among the KDE
community as hacks.  We all know that we're the best media player out
there; world-class programs deserve world-class documentation, and
this is the time to do it.

--Jeff