Collection Update

Rich rich at hq.vsaa.lv
Mon Oct 30 07:35:02 UTC 2006

Stuart Neill wrote:
> Of what exactly, ~/.kde/share/apps/amarok/ or collection.db or ?.

at least ~/.kde/share/config/amarokrc and ~/.kde/share/apps/amarok/.
you could reconstruct amarokrc, but better to have an exact copy.

>> also, if you have a lot of tracks (usual advice is >10k), consider using
>> mysql. it would be faster and probably safer.
>
> Well, I'm approaching that number and had intended at some point setting up a
> small server to (among other things) hold my music collection:
>
> Is it possible when housing the database on another machine on the network to
> allow a user to access and update their collection information on multiple
> machines?

hmm... well, yes. i don't know what would happen when several users
simultaneously access the db (probably nothing when only reading
information, writing could have some problems).

additionally, there's a wish to allow specifying of a prefix for
user-specific data (like scores, rartings, playcounts), which would
allow several users to have single common part of db and their own
personal data. this is not currently possible with mysql.

> Do you know of any gotchas in moving to MySQL?

i haven't heard of any huge problems and have migrated succesfully
myself. of course, keep a backup of your previous data for some time
until you are completely sure that the move ha been successful.

and don't forget that in addition to amarokrc & amarok config directory
that you backed up before you also have to back up mysql database.

> (Bringing this thread full circle) is there a known method for preserving the
> statistical information when migrating from SQLite to MySQL?

well, that information you already should have :)
--
  Rich