Collection Update

Stuart Neill stuart at neill.ukfsn.org
Sat Oct 28 19:17:22 UTC 2006

Thanks for the reply Rich

On Wednesday 25 October 2006 07:16, Rich wrote:

> if you are home user, maybe suse linux (or upcoming opensuse) would
> be better for you - it moves at a faster pace, has latest software
> available. you don't get that long guaranteed patches and it might be
> slightly less stable, but for home use new software might be more
> interesting.

I believe you are right. SLED offers few advantages for me, especially now
with Novell's increasing focus on the GNOME desktop.

> well, in future i'd suggest making regular backups ;)

Of what exactly, ~/.kde/share/apps/amarok/ or collection.db or ?.

> also, if you have a lot of tracks (usual advice is >10k), consider using
> mysql. it would be faster and probably safer.

Well, I'm approaching that number and had intended at some point setting up a
small server to (among other things) hold my music collection:

Is it possible when housing the database on another machine on the network to
allow a user to access and update their collection information on multiple
machines?

Do you know of any gotchas in moving to MySQL?

(Bringing this thread full circle) is there a known method for preserving the
statistical information when migrating from SQLite to MySQL?

--
Stuart Neill