amarok-1.4.3: stuttering for 5-10 sec

Alex Efros powerman at powerman.asdfGroup.com
Wed Oct 25 12:17:53 UTC 2006

Hi!

Problem: while playing music every 20-60 minutes amarok pause for 5-10
seconds then continue. I've just switched to amarok from xmms, so I've no
experience with previous amarok versions, but xmms and mplayer always work
without any problems (I've not used xine before too).

I'm using Hardened Gentoo and media-sound/amarok-1.4.3-r1 package (Gentoo
ebuild is patched to enable MusicBrainz support).

Sound engine is xine (media-libs/xine-lib-1.1.2-r2).
I've tried drivers auto, alsa and oss.

Sound card is Audigy 2 ZS.

There no CPU/HDD activity when amarok stuttering (moreover, once I got
that stuttering while I was in 'top', and looks like amarok also doesn't
use CPU while stuttering).

No errors or warnings about this issue found on console from which amarok
was executed, or in logs (Xorg, syslog, kernel).

I'm using amarok's frequency indicator which paint red/green dots moving
from right to left. While stuttering it paint strange line with same
amount of dots (while usual pause it stops!). That's looks like this:

   G        GGG                                               G     G
  GG    G   GGGG                                             GG    GG
 GGGG   GG GGGGG                                            GGGG G GGG
GGGGG G GG GGGGGG                                          GGGGGGGGGGG
GGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGG
RRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR
<----normal-----><---------------stuttering---------------><--normal-->

I've tried to fix this issue by creating ~/.asoundrc and increasing buffer
size, but I'm not sure it's correct (anyway this doesn't help):

---cut---
pcm.!default {
    type plug
    slave.pcm "dmixer"