amarok 1.4.2

Donn Washburn n5xwb at hal-pc.org
Tue Oct 24 23:22:18 UTC 2006

Rich wrote:
> Donn Washburn wrote:
>> Hey Group;
>>
>> Has anyone had this problem dealing with amarok 1.4.2?
>> That is after a complete reload, factory update and KDE 3.5.4
>> I am running SuSE 10.1 with NVIdia's driver.  SuSE delivers xine (which
>> is broken) and amarok 1.3.?.  I compiled and installed xine from source.
>> 1.3 seemed to work but as soon as 1.4.2 (which did work previously) was
>> installed the sound fails.  Xine audio and alsa are seen as well as
>> libvisual.
>
> add packman & guru repositories, follow instructions found at
> http://spinink.net/suse-for-windows-users/ for changing xine, upgrade
> amarok to 1.4.3.
>
> i must admit that i can't understand how factory (which is suse version
> of unstable-current-devel) could be shipping amarok 1.3...
>
>> Now to try 1.4.3 and it complains that ruby is not installed .
>> "locate" in /usr/lib/ruby/1.8/files
>>
>> Anyone else having a similar problem?
Well as a compTIA Linux+ Certified person running several different
flavors of Linux and avoiding RPMs, (and any of the auto update
Microsoft idea stuff) I compile thing from the source.  That way I get
all of the most recent file and dependencies, besides learn what thing
they want.  As a help to the developers I try to report any problems.  I
am not a programmer but I am very active in Linux/UNIX.  I do realize
that it is impossible for them to have every possible configuration of
systems.  Therefore, I offered the above as a help.  Also, after
compiling and installing ruby - Amarok 1.4.3 compiled cleanly but still
fails the xine audio that it finds.  I will run strace on it this
evening to try and track the problem.

By the way Amarok is a GREAT application.  Try it on "www.sky/fm"

--
73 de Donn Washburn