"a la Freevo" script for Amarok ?

Colin Guthrie gmane at colin.guthr.ie
Wed Oct 18 09:07:03 UTC 2006

Marc Cramdal wrote:
> I agree with Greg too : I have a remote and when I'm in my bed ;-) , a
> "fullscreen" interface is really better. When I'm in front of my
> computer, Amarok is better because I use it among other applications.

I was thinking about this the other day and I beleive that a separate
program is the correct solution rather than hacking amarok itself
(no-one suggested that AFAIK, just clarifying).

I should be fairly easy to write a full screen OpenGL app that is
capable of querying Amarok to get the full track/artist list+album art
and give a nice interface to browse them (the iTunes CD flip type view
is very nice IMO). I suspect a current album view would be nice and
perhaps lyrics too.

Something like the Screensaver view here:
http://www.kde-look.org/content/show.php?content=45729&forummode=1&forumpage=2&forumexplevel=all
but as an interactive program and with proper OpenGL support.

I think a combination of DCOP and OpenGL, you should be able to get it
working nicely.

Python would probably be ideal.

I would work on this but not sure how much time I've got of late and I
know nothing about OpenGL programming tho' would love to learn.

Col