!!News Release!! Roktoberfest: The Amarok Project Fundraiser

Greg Meyer greg at gkmweb.com
Tue Oct 3 02:17:22 UTC 2006

October is Roktoberfest here at the Amarok Project and we are giving away an
iPod Nano to celebrate. Roktoberfest is the time to review the events of the
past 12 months and start planning and do the fundraising for the next 12
months.

Lots of cool stuff happened in the past year.
1.4 development started with a bang as about 5 major feature commits were made
within minutes of the branch being opened. They were things like tag support
for m4a/wma, a new user rating system to compliment the auto-scoring system,
a new external collection scanner to dramatically reduce the crashiness of
the main application and the ability to organize files so you could move
their location in the filesystem without losing stats. The overall changelog
for 1.4 was enormous, listing 64 feature additions. We jumped ahead to a
premature release of version 2.0 on April 1, which was tremendous fun.
Version 1.4 was released on May 17 with much fanfare right before the Amarok
devs finally got together for a very productive set of development meetings
in May. The summer was full of work brought about by stabilizing the branch
and working on the Google Summer of Code project that added DAAP support.
Lastly, we will wind down with the imminent release of 1.4.4.

Looking Ahead
We have declared a fundraiser to raise $5,000 to offset expenses in the coming
year. There are server and bandwidth costs and there is some need for
development hardware. We are also planning to have another meeting to work on
Amarok 2, so there will be some travel costs. Amarok 2 will be based on
QT4/KDE4 and will finally feature a Windows port, so for those of you that
must use Windows, you will finally be able to have your rok and eat it too.
PayPal is the easiest way to donate, just click the link in the left banner,
but if you prefer to send a check, send a mail to amarokproject at gkmweb.com
and we can provide a mailing address. As a thank you to our supporters, we
will be entering everyone that donates $10 or more in a random drawing for a
cool new 2GB iPod Nano.  Update: It has been asked and we agree that each $10
gets you one chance, so if you donate $50, your name is entered 5 times.

We thank you for all the support you have given in the past, and we look
forward to a very busy year.